While the reviews were far from amazing, there’s no doubt that the fifth film in Spider-Man history got off to a strong start this weekend. Here’s what went down.
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 managed to survive horrid reviews from critics and fans alike to score an impressive $92 million in its opening weekend. While its a far cry from the over $100 million weekends the first and third films scored, its significantly higher than the Amazing Spider-Man’s 2012 three-day total of roughly $72 million (keep in mind, that film was released in the middle of the week, mind you). The film should hold onto the top spot next weekend, but it will likely have a huge drop as audiences stay away from the first real dud in the franchise.
As for the rest of the top five, The Other Woman dropped to second place with $14 million. Heaven is for Real grabbed third place with $8.7 million, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was in fourth with $7.7 million, with Rio 2 closing things out in fifth place with $7.6 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – $95 million
2) The Other Woman – $15 million
3) Heaven is for Real – $10.5 million
4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier – $10 million
5) Rio 2 – $7 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – $92 million
2) The Other Woman – $14 million
3) Heaven is for Real – $8.7 million
4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier – $7.7 million
5) Rio 2 – $7.6 million
Next weekend sees the release of Neighbours and Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.