Divergent proved to be a huge hit this weekend, bringing in $56 for its opening weekend. While we’re not quite in Hunger Games territory, this is still an excellent number and should bode well for future instalments in the series.
Muppets Most Wanted debut in second place with a less than stellar $16 million, a far cry from The Muppets bow at $29 million just a few years ago. Reviews have been strong for this film, but awareness is significantly lower than the last film. Throw in a nearly two hour running time, and you’re left with a family film that isn’t going to appeal to families. The Muppets may be back, but their next outing should be 90 minutes with a lot more build up.
As for the rest of the top five, Mr. Peabody & Sherman brought in $11 million to hit third; 300: Rise of an Empire was in fourth with $8.6 million, while God’s Not Dead debut in fifth place with $8.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Divergent – $58 million
2) Muppets Most Wanted – $27 million
3) Mr. Peabody & Sherman – $14 million
4) 300: Rise of an Empire – $10 million
5) Need For Speed – $8 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Divergent – $56 million
2) Muppets Most Wanted – $16 million
3) Mr. Peabody & Sherman – $11 million
4) 300: Rise of an Empire – $8.6 million
5) God’s Not Dead– $8.5 million
Next week sees the release of Noah and Sabotage. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.