While it’s fun to do the box office predictions every weekend, I must admit I always find pretty cool when I’m surprised by the results. Case in point, this weekend:
Making a surprise leap to number one this weekend is Mr. Peabody & Sherman, bringing in $21 million. As I mentioned last week, it was going to be interesting to see the sorts of legs this film has, and clearly its the (only) choice for families right now. It still has a ways to go to make back its $145 budget, but for this weekend at least, the film scores bragging rights.
Debuting in third place with a less than stellar $17 million was Need For Speed. Video game movies don’t tend to do well, and this film wasn’t the exception.
As for the rest of the top five, 300: Rise Of An Empire was in second with $19 million, Non-Stop was in fourth with $10 million, while Tyler Perry’s The Single Mom’s Club debut in fifth with just $8 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) 300: Rise Of An Empire – $25.5 million
2) Need For Speed – $24 million
3) Mr. Peabody & Sherman – $19 million
4) Non-Stop – $15 million
5) Tyler Perry’s The Single Moms Club – $14.5 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Mr. Peabody & Sherman – $21 million
2) 300: Rise Of An Empire – $19 million
3) Need For Speed – $17 million
4) Non-Stop – $10 million
5) Tyler Perry’s The Single Moms Club – $8 million
Next week sees the release of Divergent and Muppets Most Wanted. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!