It was a big weekend at movie theaters, as Ant-Man and The Wasp made a bee-line for the top of the box office.
While it wasn’t a massive opening like sequels Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 ($146 million, 2017) and Avengers: Infinity War ($257 million, 2018), the estimated $76.5 million that Ant-Man and The Wasp brought in this weekend is definitely a solid number. It improves upon the original’s $57 million debut, which is always a good sign for the strength of a franchise, and it continues Marvel Studios’ surpreme box office presence. Reviews have also been strong, so Ant-Man and The Wasp should enjoy its weekend of supremacy and deliver a higher finish that the original’s $180+ final North American tally.
As for the rest of the top five, Incredibles 2 held strong at $29 million, pushing its total past $500 million, making it the biggest Pixar film in North American box office history. Jurassic World: Fallen World fell to third place with $28.5 million, though the two films could switch places when the actual come out Monday.
The First Purge spend its first weekend in release in fourth place with $17.1 million, while Sicario: Day of the Soldado with $7.3 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Ant-Man and The Wasp – $94 million
2) Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – $30 million
3) Incredibles 2 – $26 million
4) The First Purge – $20 million
5) Uncle Drew – $7.5 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Ant-Man and The Wasp – $76.5 million
2) Incredibles 2 – $29 million
3) Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – $28.5 million
4) The First Purge – $17.1 million
5) Sicario: Day of the Soldado – $7.3 million
Next weekend sees the release of Hotel Transylvania 3 and Skyscraper. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!