Black Panther arrived this weekend in a huge way. Here’s what’s went down:
Massive. That’s an accurate way to describe the debut of Black Panther at the box office this weekend. The three-day estimates are in (it’s the President’s Day long weekend in the US so four days measurements will be out tomorrow), and the film looks to have brought in an incredible $192 million. For comparisons sake, the film has had a bigger opening than Avengers: Age of Ultron, which brought in $191.2M over its first three days. Should things play out as expected, look for Black Panther to bring in $227 million over its first four days. The film has captured audiences’ imaginations, and is certainly the right movie for this time.
As for the rest of the top five, Peter Rabbit was in second place with $17 million. Fifty Shades Freed dropped to third place with $16.9 million, while Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle was in in fourth with $7.9 million. The 15:17 to Paris closed things out in fifth place with $7.6 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Black Panther – $180 million
2) Peter Rabbit – $18 million
3) Fifty Shades Freed – $14 million
4) Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – $8 million
5) The 15:17 to Paris – $6 million
And here’s how the three-day weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Black Panther – $192 million
2) Peter Rabbit – $17 million
3) Fifty Shades Freed – $16.9 million
4) Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – 7.9 million
5) The 15:17 to Paris – $7.6 million
Next weekend sees the release of Annihilation, Game Night, and Every Day. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!