Apologies from the delay on the box office results this week, gang. Christmas Eve Day got seriously busy, while today, after some early morning presents with the Princess and her mom, I was off to see Star Wars: The Last Jedi again with my mother, who absolutely loved it. Honestly, I’m surprised by all the hardcore hate for this film that’s out there. The performances are all strong in my opinion, especially Mark Hamill, and I like where I think the franchise could go with The Force (see “Chosen,” the final episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer for reference).
With that explanation, and noting that Star Wars: The Last Jedi did in fact remain in the top spot for the second week in a row, here’s a quick look at the three-day numbers we predicted, and the three-day/four day finals:
Here were our three-day predictions:
1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $100 million
2) Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – $32 million
3) Pitch Perfect 3 – $29 million
4) The Great Showman – $12 million
5) Ferdinand – $11 million
And here are the three-day/four-day estimates:
1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $71.7 million/$103.1 million
2) Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle – $36.5 million/$53.8 million
3) Pitch Perfect 3 – $19.9 million/$26 million
4) The Greatest Showman – $8.8 million/$14 million
5) Ferdinand – $7.3 million/$9.67 million
Star Wars: The Last Jedi will cross the $400 million marks within a matter of hours, and should end its runs upwards of $600 million. Some will say that number will be a rejection of the film, but there’s simply no way that, after decades of waiting for the Skywalker story to continue, could The Last Jedi measure up to the pent of desire that The Force Awakens was met with.
This upcoming weekend has no major new releases, but check back on Friday to see our predictions!