It was a rockin’ weekend at the box office as the first spin-off from the Fast and Furious franchise landed on top of the box office.
Hobbs and Shaw brought in an estimated $61 million for its debut weekend, a solid number and the biggest debuts for both Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham outside of the proper Fast and Furious films. Mindless action in the middle of summer is always the way to go, and Hobbs and Shaw delivered.
As for the rest of the top five, Disney’s The Lion King was in second place with $38 million. Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood fell to third place with $20 million. Spider-Man: Far From Home was in fourth place with $7.7 million, while Toy Story 4 closed things out in fifth place with $7.1 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Hobbs and Shaw – $76 million
2) Disney’s The Lion King – $45 million
3) Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood – $24 million
4) Spider-Man: Far From Home – $9 million
5) Toy Story 4 – $8.5 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Hobbs and Shaw – $61 million
2) Disney’s The Lion King – $38 million
3) Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood – $20million
4) Spider-Man: Far From Home – $7.7 million
5) Toy Story 4 – $7.1 million
Next weekend sees the release of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, The Kitchen, The Art of Racing in the Rain and Dora and the Lost City of Gold. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!