You know all the new releases that debut this weekend? Forget about ’em, as none were able to really make an impact against the holdovers from last weekend. Here’s what went down:
The LEGO Batman Movie continued its winning ways, holding on to the top spot at the box office with an estimated $32.1 million. The film should clear more than $100 million at the end of the four-day President’s Day long weekend in the U.S..
As for the rest of the top five, Fifty Shades Darker held on to second place with $23.9 million. While this is a better showing than expected, the film is performing well behind the first film, which was already well past $100 million at this point during its run.
Matt Damon’s The Great Wall debut in third place with $17.1 million, which is not a great showing for a film top-lined by an A-list actor. The film has already made over $250 million overseas, so its not reliant on its North American box office, but this is still a disappointment.
John Wick: Chapter Two was in fourth place with $15 million, while Fist Fight debut in fifty place with an unimpressive $10.7 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) The LEGO Batman Movie – $43 million
2) John Wick: Chapter Two – $20 million
3) Fifty Shades Darker – $18 million
4) The Great Wall – $15 million
5) Fist Fight – $14.5 million
And here’s how the three-day weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) The LEGO Batman Movie – $32.1 million
2) Fiffy Shades Darker – $23.9 million
3) The Great Wall – $17.1 million
4) Johm Wick: Chapter Two – $15 million
5) Fist Fight – $10.7 million
Next weekend sees the release of Collide, Get Out, and Rock Dog. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!