It was close but not quite the weekend that Avatar would relinquish the title of biggest film in North American box office history, but it was still a strong end to the holiday season. Here’s what went down:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens was number one at the box office for the third weekend in a row, bringing in an estimated $88.3 million and raising its total to $740.2 million. The film is less than ten million away from breaking Avatar’s hold as the biggest North Americn film of all time, and it should do so in the next day or so.
As for the rest of the top five, Daddy’s Home was in second place with $29 million. The Hateful Eight went into wide release and hit third place with $16.2 million. Sisters was steady in fourth place with $12.5 million, while Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip closed things out in fifth place with $11.8 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $102 million
2) The Hateful Eight – $27 million
3) Daddy’s Home – $23 million
4) Sisters – $11 million
5) Alvin and the Chipmunks – $10 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $88.3 million
2) Daddy’s Home – $29 million
3) The Hateful Eight – $16.2 million
4) Sisters – $12.5 million
5) Alvin and the Chipmunks – $11.8 million
Next weekend sees the release of The Forest and The Revenant. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!