It’s been a successful, but not HUGELY successful weekend for this week’s big new release. Here’s what went down:
Though we were optimistic and thought The Fate of the Furious would only drop slightly from the massive opening Furious 7 delivered a few years back, the latest instalment was definitely off from F7‘s $147 million. While The Fate of the Furious debuted in number one, as expected, it was with an estimated $100.1 million. To be fair, this is still a great number, and the film is tracking to also perform incredibly well overseas. It just appears that this time out, the family couldn’t quite capture the zeitgeist in North America the way it had a few years back.
As for the rest of the top five, The Boss Baby was in second place with $15.5 million. Beauty and the Beast followed in third with $13.6 million. Smurfs: The Lost Village was in fourth place with $6.5 million, while Going In Style closed things out in fifth place with $6.35 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Fate of the Furious – $135 million
2) The Boss Baby – $18 million
3) Beauty and the Beast – $13 million
4) Smurfs: The Lost Village – $7 million
5) Going In Style – $6.5 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Fate of the Furious – $100.1 million
2) The Boss Baby – $15.5 million
3) Beauty and the Beast – $13.6 million
4) Smurfs: The Lost Village – $6.5 million
5) Going In Style – $6.35 million
Next weekend see the release of Unforgettable. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!