The latest Star Wars film continued its winning ways at the box office, while a new horror reboot managed to perform slightly better than expected.
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker held on to the top spot at the box office for the third weekend in a row, bringing in an estimated $34.2 million, raising its total to $453 million. This is a great number, and while the laws of diminishing returns mean that The Rise of Skywalker will net out below $600 million, the film has still done big business at the box office.
As for the rest of the top five, Jumanji: The Next Level remained in second place with $26.5 million. Little Women was in the third spot with $13.5 million, while Frozen II claimed fourth place with $12 million. The Grudge managed to survive critical disdain and audience disappointment to debut in fifth place with $11.3 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – $35 million
2) Jumanji: The Next Level – $15 million
3) Little Women – $11 million
4) Frozen II – $10.5 million
5) The Grudge – $8 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – $34.2 million
2) Jumanji: The Next Level – $26.5 million
3) Little Women – $13.5 million
4) Frozen II – $12 million
5) The Grudge – $11.3 million
Next weekend sees the release of 1917, Just Mercy, and Underwater. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!