It was a strong weekend for the top two films at the box office, the calm before the storm that Captain Marvel is sure to bring in just a few days.
How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World held on to the top spot for the second weekend in a row, bringing in an estimated $30 million with just a 45% drop week to week. The Princess saw it this weekend, and says the movie is “cool, because it has dragons! It’s fun and made me cry a little, in a good way. Kids should go see it!”
Debuting in second place was Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral with an estimated $27 million, a bit higher than we predicted and not a bad showing for a franchise that’s been around for nearly 15 years. These films aren’t expensive to make, so anything after this weekend’s numbers will be gravy.
As for the rest of the top five, Alita: Battle Angel was in third place with $7 million, followed by The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part in fourth place with $6.6 million. Finally, in a surprise showing, the Oscar-winning Green Book was rereleased into theatres and managed to hit fifth place with $4.7 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – $34 million
2) Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral – $24 million
3) Alita: Battle Angel – $9 million
4) The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $8 million
5) Fighting With My Family – $5 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World – $30 million
2) Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral – $27 million
3) Alita: Battle Angel – $7 million
4) The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $6.6 million
5) Green Book – $4.7 million
This Friday sees the release of Marvel’s Captain Marvel. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!