Third time was a charm for the latest instalment in the How To Train Your Dragon series, which debut on top of the box office this weekend.
How To Train Hour Dragon: The Hidden World managed to outperform the previous entries in the trilogy, bringing in an estimated $55 million to land in the number one spot this weekend. This is a great number, higher than the $43 and $49 million, respectively, that the first two films made. Clearly, the franchise has only gained in stature since the release of the original film back in 2010.
As for the rest of the top five, Alita: Battle Angel dropped to second place with $12 million, a precarious drop of 58% week to week. The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part was in third place with $10 million, as it continues to to sputter out of theatres following its less than stellar arrival. Fighting With My Family expanded after a limited releases, and arrived in fourth place with an estimated $8 million, while Isn’t It Romantic closed things out in fifth place with $7.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) How To Train Your Dragon; The Hidden World – $47 million
2) Alita: Battle Angel – $17 million
3) The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $11.5 million
4) Fighting With My Family – $10 million
5) Isn’t It Romantic – $9 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) How To Train Your Dragon; The Hidden World – $55 million
2) Alita: Battle Angel – $12 million
3) The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $10 million
4) Fighting With My Family – $8 million
5) Isn’t It Romantic – $7.5 million
Next weekend sees the release of Greta and A Madea Family Funeral. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!