The Guardians of the Galaxy blasted off this weekend with an outstanding debut. Here’s what went down:
Though it didn’t make the lofty heights we predicted, Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 still had a fantastic weekend at the box office, debuting in first place with an estimated $146 million. That’s significantly higher than the original’s 2014 opening haul of $94 million, as the film is well on its way to a $300 million plus haul in North American alone. You can check out Glenn Walker’s review of the film here. I saw it yesterday and found it surprisingly poignant and moving, with excellent performances all around, Director James Gunn is in place to help shepherd the next decade of Marvel films, and I think fans are all the better for it.
As for the rest of the top five, The Fate of the Furious was in second place with $8.6 million. The Boss Baby was in third with $6 million. How to be a Latin Lover was in fourth place with $5 million, while Beauty and the Beast closed things out in fifth with $4.8 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 – $190 million
2) The Fate of the Furious – $8 million
3) How to be a Latin Lover – $6.5 million
4) Beauty and the Beast – $4.5 million
5) The Boss Baby – $4 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 – $146 million
2) The Fate of the Furious – $8.6 million
3) The Boss Baby– $6 million
4) How to be a Latin Lover– $5 million
5) Beauty and the Beast– $4.8 million
Next weekend sees the release of King Arthur and Snatched. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!