It was another Fast and Furious weekend at the box office, as the latest from Vin Diesel and his family drove over the competition. Here’s what went down:
The Fate of the Furious remained in the top spot for the second weekend in a row, bringing in an estimated $38 million, raising its total to $163 million. Though this is not a bad number at all, the film did drop a huge 63%, which means that this instalment in the franchise will likely not have serious legs. Not that that is really anything to worry about, consider The Fate of the Furious still managed to score the biggest global opening weekend of all time when it debuted. Nobody is crying here, that’s for sure.
As for the rest of the top five, The Boss Baby was in second place with $13 million. Beauty and the Beast was in third place with $9.9 million. The Disney panda documentary Born in China managed a fourth place debut with $5.1 million, with Going in Style right behind it in fifth place with $5 million.
The Katherine Heigl-starring Unforgettable could barely muster up $4.7 million and wound up outside the top five.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) The Fate of the Furious – $40 million
2) The Boss Baby – $10 million
3) Beauty and the Beast – $8.5 million
4) Unforgettable – $7 million
5) Going In Style – $4 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) The Fate of the Furious – $38 million
2) The Boss Baby – $13 million
3) Beauty and the Beast – $9.9 million
4) Born in China – $5.1 million
5) Going In Style – $5 million
Next weekend sees the release of The Circle. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!