It was a somewhat quiet weekend at the box office, as no new release really caught on with audiences. Here’s what went down:
Kung Fu Panda 3 hung onto the top spot at the box office for the second weekend in a row, bringing in $21.5 million, raising its total to $69.5 million in North America. It’s doubtful that the film will perform as well as the first two in the series, but Kung Fu Panda 3 should at least cross the $100 million mark.
Debuting in second place with $11.6 million was the Coen Brothers latest film, Hail, Caesar! With an all-star cast, including George Clooney and Scarlett Johansson, I’m sure that everyone involved would have preferred to see a better number.
As for the rest of the top five, Star Wars: The Force Awakens was in third place with $6.6 million, raising its North American total to an incredible $905 million. The Revenant fell to fourth place with $6.5 million, while new release The Choice closed things out in fifth place with $5.5 million.
Somewhat surprisingly, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies could only muster a sixth place showing, with $5.1 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Kung Fu Panda 3 – $23 million
2) The Revenant – $11.5 million
3) Hail, Caesar! – $11 million
4) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies – $10 million
5) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $7 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Kung Fu Panda 3 – $21.5 million
2) Hail, Caesar! – $11.6 million
3) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $6.6 million
4) The Revenant – $6.5 million
5) The Choice – $5.1 million
Next weekend sees the release of both Deadpool, How To Be Single and Zoolander 2. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!