It came, it saw, it conquered.
And then some.
Here’s what went down this weekend:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens topped not only the box office this weekend, but also topple the opening weekend record set by Jurassic World earlier this year. Star Wars managed to surprise all the pundits, bringing in an astounding $238 million for its opening weekend, including $120 million for its Thursday night/Friday showings. This is the movie of the year, by far, and is arguably the movie of the decade as well. Could this be the film that knocks Avatar from its perch as the biggest film ever in North America? We’ll find out soon enough.
As for the rest of the top five, two new releases actually did alright in the face of the stiffest competition. Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip debut in second place with $14.4 million, while Sisters debut in third with $13.4 million. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 was in fourth place with $5.65 million, while Creed closed things out in fifth with $5.1 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $235 million
2) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Trip – $12 million
3) Sisters – $11 million
4) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 – $7 million
5) The Good Dinosaur – $5 million
And he’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $238 million
2) Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip – $14.4 million
3) Sisters – $13.4 million
4) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 – $5.65 million
5) Creed – $5 million
Next week sees the arrival of Joy, Point Break and Concussion. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!