It was an exciting weekend at the box office, as last week’s champ wound up duking it out with a high profile new release for the top spot. While it was close, there could only be one number one.
Sonic The Hedgehog managed to hold on to the top spot at the box office for the second weekend in a row, bringing in an estimated $26.7 million and raising its two week total to a stellar $107 million. However, close behind it in second place is new release The Call of the Wild, the adaptation of the classic Jack London novel starring Harrison Ford. The two movies were neck and neck all weekend long, but as of Sunday, The Call of the Wild has to settle for second place with $24.8 million. That’s a great number though, far higher than we thought the film would bring in.
As for the rest of the top five, the critically-acclaimed Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey continues to nose dive, dropping to third place with $7 million, bringing its three week total to just $73 million. As it stands, it’s unlikely that the film will cross the $100 million mark in North America.
Bad Boys For Life was in fourth place with $5.9 million, while new release Brahms: The Boy 2 closed things out in fifth with $5.8 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Sonic The Hedgehog – $32 million
2) The Call of the Wild – $15 million
3) Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey – $9 million
4) Bad Boys For Life – $7 million
5) Brahms: The Boy 2 – $6.5 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Sonic The Hedgehog – $26.7 million
2) The Call of the Wild – $24.8 million
3) Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey – $7 million
4) Bad Boys For Life – $5.9 million
5) Brahms: The Boy 2 – $5.8 million
Next weekend sees the release of The Invisible Man. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!