It was an outstanding weekend at the box office for a new frontrunner for Oscar nominations.
1917 debut in first place with an outstanding $37.2 million, a number that would have been unheard of (in my opinion) until last week’s high profile Golden Globe wins. Combined with the critical accolades the film has been scoring, and this is nothing short of a huge success for all involved – no stars, not a franchise, just quality.
As for the rest of the top five, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker dropped to second place with $15.3 million. It’s North American total is currently at $478 million, so the film is going to have to settle for rounding out its fun here for somewhere in the low $500 million range.
Jumanji: The Next Level was in third place with $13.3 million, while Like A Boss debut in fourth place with $10.7 million. The new legal film Just Cause debut with $10.2 million to close out the top five.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) 1917 – $25 million
2) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – $18 million
3) Jumanji: The Next Level – $17.5 million
4) Like A Boss – $12 million
5) Little Women – $11 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) 1917 – $37.2 million
2) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – $15.3 million
3) Jumanji: The Next Level – $13.3 million
4) Like A Boss – $10.7 million
5) Just Cause– $10.2 million
Next weekend sees the release of Doolittle. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!