While it wasn’t the forceful weekend that we predicted, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker still did great business at the box office.
The ninth and final film in the Skywalker Saga triple trilogy held onto number one at the box office with an estimated $72 million. That’s a 59% drop from last weekend’s $177 million, which wasn’t entirely unexpected. The current film sits at $$362.6 million, right around where The Last Jedi was at the same time as its run on its way to a final North American gross of $620 million. Don’t be surprised to see The Rise of Skywalker taper off a bit lower than that, which can’t be much of a surprise considering its the third film in this series.
As for the rest of the top five, Jumanji: The Next Level was in second place with $35.3 million, raising its total to $175 million. Little Women debut in third place with a very strong $16.5 million, essentially tied with Frozen II, which brought in the same amount. The new animated film Spies in Disguise closed things out in fifth place with an estimated $13.2 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – $101 million
2) Jumanji: The Next Level – $20 million
3) Little Women – $18 million
4) Spies in Disguise – $16 million
5) Frozen II – $15 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – $72 million
2) Jumanji: The Next Level – $35.3 million
3) Little Women – $16.5 million
4) Frozen II – $16.5 million
5) Spies in Disguise – $13.2 million
Next weekend, the first of 2020, sees the release of The Grudge. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!