It wasn’t a good weekend for any new releases at the box office, let alone our predictions about which film would come out on top.
Alita: Battle Angel managed to grab the top spot this weekend, bringing in an estimated $24 million. While it claim bragging rights, when you consider the film cost upwards of $170 million to make, this North American number is absolutely terrible. While Alita: Battle Angel could wind up profitable thanks to its overseas numbers, it’s going to be hard to not look at this film as a big time failure.
As for the rest of the top five, The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part only dropped 37.8%, landing in second place with $21 million. That’s not a terrible hold after what had to be considered a lacklustre debut. The romantic comedy Isn’t It Romantic debut in third place with an estimated $14 million, while What Men Want was in fourth place with $10 million.
Finally, Happy Death Day 2U absolutely underperformed, mustering up only $9.8 million to close out the top five. The general consensus is that film just seemed too much of a rehash of the original to get audiences into theatres.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Happy Death Day 2U – $26 million
2) The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $22 million
3) Alita: Battle Angel – $19 million
4) Isn’t It Romantic – $12 million
5) What Men Want – $10 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Alita: Battle Angel – $24 million
2) The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – $21 million
3) Isn’t It Romantic – $14 million
4) What Men Want – $10 million
5) Happy Death Day 2U – $9.8 million
Next weekend sees the release of How To Train Your Dragon 3 and Fighting With My Family. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!