It was a big weekend for The Rock at the box office, and a big weekend for the one debuting release. Here’s what went down:
After a few weeks of acting the bridesmaid, this weekend Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle was the bride of the box office, bringing in an estimated $36 million and raising its total to a fantastic $244 million. Can someone say sequel?
Debuting in second place, and overperforming, was Insidious: The Last Key with $29 million. $7 million more than the third instalment made when it opened in June of 2015. Reviews were decent for the film, and its PG-13 rating certainly didn’t hurt.
As for the rest of the top five, Star Wars: The Last Jedi finally dropped from the top spot, landing in third place with $23.6 million, bringing its total to $572 million. It will have no problem crossing the $600 million mark in the coming weeks. The Great Showman was in fourth place with $13.8 million. The film can celebrate that this weekend its soundtrack topped the Billboard charts, selling over 100,000 copies. Pitch Perfect 3 closed things out in fifth place with $10.2 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle – $33 million
2) Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $30 million
3) Insidious: The Last Key – $19 million
4) The Great Showman – $13 million
5) Ferdinand – $10 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle – $36 million
2) Insidious: The Last Key – $29 million
3) Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $23.6 million
4) The Great Showman – $13.8 million
5) Pitch Perfect – $10.2 million
Next weekend sees the release of Paddington 2 and The Commuter. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!