As predicted, this week’s box office was led by a sequel to last year’s horror comedy hit. Here’s what went down:
Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween was the pick for audiences this weekend, bringing in an estimated $21 million. While not a bad showing for a film that cost roughly $25 million to make, it’s worth nothing that the sequel’s debut is off about $7 million from the original’s from last year. Nothing alarming though, as this one will be in the black within days.
As for the rest of the top five, Geostorm arrived in second place with an estimated $13 million, which is a terrible start for a film estimated to have cost $120 million. Happy Death Day fell to third place with $9.4 million, while Blade Runner 2049 was behind it in fourth with $7.3 million. Only The Brave closed things out in fifth place with $6.2 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween – $28 million
2) Happy Death Day – $15 million
3) Geostorm – $10 million
4) Only The Brave – $8 million
5) Blade Runner 2049 – $7 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Tyler Perry’s Boo 2! A Madea Halloween – $21 million
2) Geostorm – $13 million
3) Happy Death Day – $9.4 million
4) Blade Runner 2049 – $7.3 million
5) Only The Brave – $6.3 million
Next weekend sees the release of Jigsaw. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!