DC finally got their movies right, as the first blockbuster film to star and be helmed by women did great business at the box office. Here’s what went down:
With the type of reviews and excitement usually reserved for Marvel movies, Wonder Woman had a stellar debut weekend at the box office, landing in first place with $100.5 million. This is the biggest debut for a female led blockbuster, with Gal Gadot starring and Patty Jenkins directing the origin of Diana of Themyscira. I just got back from the film and, while I found it a little long (like most super hero film movies are), I thought Gadot was absolutely astounding in the role. She had very little screen time in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, so it was definitely wonderful to see her shine on screen. Though she had no difficulties carrying the film, she certainly was surrounded by great actors like David Thewlis and Robin Wright. Forget Batman or Superman – the real leader of the upcoming big screen Justice League team should be Wonder Woman.
As for the rest of the top five, Captain Underpants: The First Movie debut in second place with $23.5 million. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales dropped a horrible 65.7% to land in third place with $21.6 million. Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume Two was in fourth place with $9.7 million, while the floundering Baywatch closed things out in fifth place with $8.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Wonder Woman – $105 million
2) Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie – $35 million
3) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales – $23 million
4) Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume Two – $11 million
5) Alien: Covenant – $7 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Wonder Woman – $100.5 million
2) Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie – $23.5 million
3) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales – $21.6 million
4) Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume Two – $9.7 million
5) Baywatch – $8.5 million
Next weekend sees the release of The Mummy. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!