What originally began as a tight race at the box office this weekend saw one film manage to pull away into the top spot. Here’s what went down:
The combination of the Halloween season and a comedy star helped Boo! A Madea Halloween rocket to the top of the box office. The film managed to scare up an impressive $27.6 million this weekend, proof that Tyler Perry’s franchise character still has legs and a devoted audience. Considering the fact that the film only cost about $20 million to make, it’s clear this is another big hit for everyone involved.
Opening in a not quite distant second place is Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, which brought in an estimated $23 million for the weekend. That’s a higher number than the first film, which debut with $15 million back in 2012, but it’s not the home run that the studio, with all its promotion for it, probably would have liked to see.
As for the rest of the top five, The Accountant dropped to third place with $13.9 million. Ouija: Origin of Evil debut in fourth place with $13.2 million, while The Girl on the Train closed things out in fifth place with $7.4 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Ouija: Origin of Evil – $23 million
2) Boo! A Madea Halloween – $20 million
3) Jack Reacher: Never Go Back – $19 million
4) The Accountant – $15 million
5) The Girl on the Train – $7 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Boo! A Madea Halloween – $27.6 million
2) Jack Reacher: Never Go Back – $23 million
3) The Accountant – $13.9 million
4)Ouija: Origin of Evil – $13.2 million
5) The Girl on the Train – $7.4 million
Next weekend sees the release of Inferno. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!