It was a stellar weekend for the biggest new release of the week, which saw a titanic team-up between two legends of American cinema. Here’s what went down:
Sully, starring Tom Hanks and directed by Clint Eastwood debut in the top spot this weekend with an estimated $34.5 million. That’s a solid number for a dramatic film without big special effects. The film should continue to have a solid run over the next few weeks as it builds momentum and positive word of mouth spreads.
As for the rest of the top five, When The Bough Breaks had a decent debut in second place with an estimated $14.5 million. Don’t Breathe was in third place with $8 million, while Suicide Squad followed in fourth place with $5.3 million. Kubo and the Two-Strings closed things out in fifth with an estimated $3.2 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Sully – $32 million
2) When The Bough Breaks – $19 million
3) Don’t Breathe – $10 million
4) Kubo and the Two-Strings – $6 million
5) Suicide Squad – $4 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) Sully – $34.5 million
2) When The Bough Breaks – $14.5 million
3) Don’t Breathe – $8 million
4) Suicide Squad – $5.3 million
5) Kubo and the Two-Strings – $3.2 million
Next weekend sees the release of Bridget Jones’ Baby and Blair Witch. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!