It was another strong weekend for the reigning king of the movie jungle, while a few new releases simply did “ok” upon release. Here’s what went down:
For the third weekend in a row, Disney’s The Jungle Book claimed the top spot at the box office, bringing in $39.9 million to raise its three-week North American total to an outstanding $248.5 million. The film should continue to perform well over the coming weeks, even if it will absolutely have to cede the top spot next weekend.
As for the rest of the top five, Keanu debut in second place with a soft $9.6 million, performing under our expectations and setting it up for a very short run in theatres. The Huntsman: Winter’s War dropped to third place with a horrible $8.4 million, placing the nail in the coffin of this franchise. Mother’s Day debut in fourth place with $8.2 million, while Barbershop: The Next Cut closed things out in fifth place with $5.7 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Disney’s The Jungle Book – $42 million
2) Keanu – $12.5 million
3) Mother’s Day – $10 million
4) The Huntsman: Winter’s War – $8.5 million
5) Barbershop: The Next Cut – $6.5 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Disney’s The Jungle Book – $39.9 million
2) Keanu – $9.6 million
3) The Huntsman: Winter’s War – $8.4 million
4) Mother’s Day– $8.2 million
5) Barbershop: The Next Cut – $5.7 million
Next weekend sees the release of Captain America: Civil War. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!