It was an interesting weekend at the box office, as one new release performed fairly well, while another wound up a big disappointment. Here’s what went down:
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 really destroyed the competition in its second weekend in release, grossing $56 million to easily hold on to the top spot at the box office. The film has now grossed an impressive $225 million, on its way to becoming the biggest film in North America for 2014.
Debuting in second place was the kids film, Penguins of Madagascar with $25.8 million. Clearly, there’s lots of life in this animated franchise.
The same can’t be said for Horrible Bosses 2, which debut in fifth place with a lacklustre $15 million. I think it’s safe to say that this should never have become a franchise.
As for the rest of the top five, Big Hero Six was in third place with $18.7 million, while Interstellar landed in fourth with $15.7 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 – $52 million
2) Penguins of Madagascar – $32 million
3) Horrible Bosses 2 – $26 million
4) Big Hero 6 – $15 million
5) Interstellar – $13 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 – $56 million
2) Penguins of Madagascar – $25.8 million
3) Big Hero Six – $26 million
4) Interstellar – $15.7 million
5) Horrible Bosses 2 – $15 million
No big releases for the coming weekend; instead we’ll be watching the juggernaut that is Mockingjay. Be sure to check back in on Friday to see our predictions.