It wasn’t even a close race at the box office this weekend, as three new releases performed relatively as expected, if not a little on the lower side of predictions. Here’s what went down:
The Maze Runner debut at number one this weekend with an ok $32 million. Once again, we have another adaptation of young adult novel that really failed to take off. Studios will likely have to be a little more discerning when it comes to picking up titles, as it’s clear that few of them are going to be Twilight or The Hunger Games.
As for the rest of the top five, neither A Walk Among The Tombstones nor This Is Where I Leave You managed to find much of an audience, the former bringing in $13 million for second place, while the latter could only muster up $11 million for third place. No Good Deed would hit fourth place with $10 million, while Dolphin Tale 2 closed things out in fifth with $9 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) The Maze Runner – $40 million
2) A Walk Among The Tombstones – $19 million
3) This Is Where I Leave You – $13 million
4) No Good Deed – $11 million
5) Dolphin Tale 2 – $10 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) The Maze Runner – $32 million
2) A Walk Among The Tombstones – $13 million
3) This Is Where I Leave You – $11 million
4) No Good Deed – $10 million
5) Dolphin Tale 2 – $9 million
Next weekend sees the release of The Boxtrolls and The Equalizer. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictons.