I have no idea how we lasted without Game Of Thrones for almost NINE months, but let’s begin by giving ourselves a pat on the back for staying strong. Now our reward is coming to us in 3 days, when Season 3 of the epic fantasy series once again takes over our lives. Nine months is a long time. We all could’ve carried and birthed a child in that time, making it more difficult to remember where we left the characters when Season 2 ended. Below you will find a quick recap to refresh your memory and then keep reading for some Season 3 scoop!
SEASON TWO RECAP
Jon Snow – After his prisoner Ygritte of the Wildlings escaped, he was taken to the Lord of Bones where he sees his fellow Night’s Watch brother Qhorin the Halfhand as a prisoner. After Qhorin realizes that they both won’t survive he portrays Jon Snow as a traitor to the Night’s Watch by attacking him which leads the Lord of Bones to demand a battle between the two. Qhorin orders Jon to kill him to earn their respect and pose as a spy within the Wildlings.
Daenerys Targaryen & The Dragons – While trying to search for her dragons, Daenerys becomes imprisoned in the House of the Undying in Qarth by Pyat Pree. He tells her that he plans to keep her and the dragons because they increase his power. Too bad for him though because Daenerys commands her dragon babies to breathe fire and he ends up getting roasted alive. She escapes Qarth with her dragons, Ser Jorah Mormont, and some new ships.
The White Walkers – After hearing three horn blasts which signals White Walkers, Samwell Tarly gets separated from the Night’s Watch and hides behind a rock. A White Walker riding a zombie horse notices and makes eye contact with Sam, but ignores him, ordering the army of walkers towards the Fist.
Sansa Stark / Joffrey Baratheon – Sansa finally catches a break and is released from her engagement to fiancé, King Joffrey Baratheon. Joffrey had decided that he wants to marry Margaery Tyrell instead after his mother Cersei convinced him that it’s a better political decision and also names his Uncle Tywin the new Hand of the King. Thinking this is the best thing that’s happened to her in a while, her happiness is short-lived because Petyr Baelish reminds her that as a result of not being Joffrey’s queen, she’s not safe in King’s Landing. Reminding him of her mother, Petyr vows to help her return home (yeah right).
Tyrion Lannister – Tyrion pretty much saves King’s Landing and all of those in it by using wildfire to defeat Stannis’ invasion. As the Battle of the Blackwater closes, he’s almost fatally wounded which leaves him with a severe facial wound and a suspicion over who tried to have him killed. When he wakes after the battle, he is told that his father Tywin, has saved King’s Landing and is the new Hand of the King.
Cersei Lannister – During the Battle of the Blackwater, Cersei is worried for her children’s safety and pulls Joffrey from the battle lines to hide with the women in the Holdfast. After she is told that Stannis has reached the castle gate she is convinced the battle is lost and plans to poison her son Tommen so he is not killed by Stannis. She is stopped just in time by Tywin who tells her that they have won.
Stannis Baratheon – Though he fought like a true champion Stannis and his army lose the Battle of the Blackwater and are unable to take over King’s Landing. He still has his sorceress Melisandre and their magic black smoke man though. At the end of the season Melisandre shows Stannis a vision in the flames that restores his faith.
Catelyn Stark/ Robb Stark / Jaime Lannister – Newly married (to nurse Talisa) Robb Stark continues to lead his army and declare he is the King of the North but things were not looking to great at the end of the season when he is betrayed by his own mother. Catelyn Stark thinking her sons Bran and Rickon were dead decides to set Robb’s most valued prisoner Jaime Lannister free. Catelyn asks Brienne of Tarth to escort Jaime back to King’s Landing hoping that will guarantee the safe return of daughters, Arya and Sansa.
Arya Stark – Arya seeks the assistance of Jaqen H’ghar to escape Harrenhal with friends Gendry and Hot Pie. While on the run in the finale they are confronted by Jaqen who offers Arya to come with him to Braavos to train with the “Faceless Men”. She declines saying she needs to find her family first. Jaqen somehow changes his face to a completely different man and rides off. Remember how crazy that was?
Bran Stark / Theon Greyjoy – Theon wanting to prove his loyalty to his father and the Ironborn betrays his friend Robb Stark and takes over Winterfell. After Theon kills Rodrik; Bran, Rickon, Hodor and Osha are forced to run from their home. With his hostages gone, Theon has two young farm boys killed and burned and convinces those in Winterfell that the bodies belong to Bran and Rickon Stark. When Bran and crew return to a charred Winterfell they find a dying Maester Luwin who instructs the group to head to the Wall and find Jon Snow.
SEASON THREE WHAT TO EXPECT
Let’s start with a list of the new characters and cast additions:
• Ciaran Hinds (Rome) as the King Beyond the Wall Mance Rayder
• Diana Rigg (The Avengers) as Olenna Redwyne Tyrell A.K.A the “Queen of Thorns,” Margaery and Loras Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother
• Clive Russell (Sherlock Holmes) as Ser Brynden “The Blackfish” Tully – the beloved uncle of Catelyn Stark
• Tobias Menzies (Rome) as Edmure Tully, Catelyn Stark’s brother
• Richard Dormer (Casualty) as Beric Dondarrion, the leader of the “Brotherhood Without Banners”
• Thomas Sangster (Love Actually) and Ellie Kendrick (Being Human UK) as Jojen Reed and Meera Reed, two young Crannogman siblings and children of Howland Reed, a Stark bannerman
• Tara Fitzgerald (Waking the Dead) as Selyse Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon’s wife
• Kerry Ingram as Shireen Baratheon, Stannis’ young daughter
• Paul Kaye (Being Human UK) will play Thoros of Myr, a red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre
• Mackenzie Crook (Pirates of the Caribbean) will play Orell the skinchanger, a fearsome Wildling
I have not read the books so these will not contain any series spoilers, but I have read countless interviews with cast, producers and articles on the new season. I pulled the best scoop on some of the most interesting storylines for you here:
• On a mission to take back the Iron Throne, Daenerys heads to Slaver’s Bay to see if she can gain an army. When she gets there she will face a few moral dillemas.
• Sansa will make a new friend in Margaery Tyrell and her mother Lady Olenna Tyrell. Actress Sophie Turner tells tvguide.com “Lady Olenna is very educated and she knows how to play the game,” … “People totally look up to Lady Olenna … and everyone’s pretty terrified of her.”
• Robb Stark will have to answer to going back on his word to marry one of Lord Frey’s daughters.
• Someone will have to fight a bear. You may have caught a glimpse of the bear in the trailer above.
• Catelyn Stark will mourn the loss of at least one family member this season.
• Tyrion will have to find a new position within King’s Landing to be useful. Continuing to seek approval from his non receptive father, this season will find Tyrion finally confronting Tywin with unexpected results.
• Ygritte will accept Jon Snow as a Wildling and introduces him to their ways. She will continue to try and get in Jon’s pants. Actor Kit Harrington says “You can see that there’s affection for each other in the second season so that’s where that goes this season. But Jon has his vows and he’s on a mission.”
• Joffrey takes a strong liking to his new fiancée Magaery Tyrell which causes some friction with his mother Cersei.
• Stannis will continue to go after his enemies, but this time under Melisandre’s influence and with magic.