A huge weekend at the box office, even with the snowstorm that took on the Northeast. And while film critic Rex Reed may have a hate-on for Melissa McCarthy, the rest of North America was happy to embrace her and her latest film. Here’s what went down.
With a huge buzz off of Bridesmaids and the always reliable Jason Bateman beside her, Melissa McCarthy’s Identity Thief was a massive success this weekend, bringing in a stellar $36 million for first place. It’s a great number for this R-rated comedy and one that, combined with the decent reviews its received, should give the film some legs over the coming weeks.
Find out how the rest of the weekend went down after the jump!
As predicted, Side Effects managed third place with $9.4 million, hardly a stellar showing but not unexpected since none of the headliners, except for Channing Tatum, can open a film. Look for this one to find its audience on DVD/VOD.
As for the rest of the top five, Warm Bodies fell one spot to second place with $11.4 million, Silver Linings Playbook grabbed fourth with $6.4 million while Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters closed out the top five with $5.7 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Identity Thief – $23 million
2) Warm Bodies – $12 million
3) Side Effects – $10 million
4) Silver Linings Playbook – $8 million
5) Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters – $6 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Identity Thief – $36 million
2) Warm Bodies – $11.4 million
3) Side Effects – $9.4 million
4) Silver Linings Playbook – $6.4 million
5) Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters – $5.7 million
Next week sees the release of Beautiful Creatures, Safe Haven and A Good Day To Die Hard. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!