Sure, he’s ugly. He’s a killer. He’s got bad taste in gloves and a worse taste in sweaters. He lives in your dreams and thrives in your nightmares.
But he’s just so much damn fun.
Since his debut in Wes Craven’s 1984 film A Nightmare on Elm Street and over the course of nine films in 27 years, Freddy Krueger has become the greatest of the supernatural slashers.
Yes, I mean he’s better than Jason. More mighty than Michael Myers. More evil than Ghostface and more crafty than Jigsaw.
Don’t believe me? Here are five reasons why Freddy Krueger is the greatest horror movie villain of all:
5) Freddy killed Johnny Depp – 1984’s A Nightmare on Elm Street is notable as more than just Freddy’s first appearance on the big screen. It’s also where a twenty-year-old Johnny Depp made his cinematic debut.
As much as you may respect Depp as an actor (he’s been Edward Scissorhands, Raoul Duke in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Paul Kemp in the forthcoming Rum Diary), there’s only so much swooning anyone can take when near a Depp fan.
In those moments when a certain someone around you won’t shut up about Captain Jack Sparrow or Tom Hanson of 21 Jump Street, thank Freddy for this moment of cinematic wish-fulfillment.
4) Freddy has faced Jason Voorhees – In 2003, horror movie maniacs finally got to see a pot-fueled fantasy brought to life: what if Jason Voorhees of the Friday the 13th movies fought Freddy Krueger? It looked like this.
You’ve got to give him credit for facing his box-office competition head-on.
3) Freddy is a playable character in Mortal Kombat 9 – Thanks to the brilliant folks at NetherRealm Studios and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Freddy Krueger can now face Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Liu Kang and more as the final downloadable character for the hit 2011 game on X-Box 360 and Playstation 3.
Is it fun? See for yourself.
2) Freddy is a hero on South Park – In the 14th season of the popular Comedy Central cartoon, Stan Marsh gets trapped inside the dreams of school counselor Mr. Mackie. Despite help from Inception-inspired dream spies, firemen and a pizza delivery boy, only one person could save everyone from a child-molesting memory of Woodsy Owl.
That person? Freddy Krueger.
1) Freddy is the most creative killer of all – Being a slasher based in dreams allows Freddy to literally take the dreamspace and turn it into a lethal killing field. Combine that with a dark sense of humour and you get a recipe for the ultimate movie murderer.
Drowning a teenager in his own waterbed? Killing another by turning him into a marionette puppet with his own veins? Taking out another by making his motorcycle devour him? Freddy knows how to kill in style. What’s a little death without a sense of art?
If you want to see his oeuvre, click here – but not if you’re squeamish.
I rest my case. Think you can do better? Who’s your favourite horror movie villain ever, and why?