Those darn Angry Birds have nothing to be angry about this weekend, as they managed to fly to the top of the box office. Here’s what went down:
In a bit of a shock, Angry Birds: The Movie knocked Captain America: Civil War from the top of the box office heap, bringing in an estimated $39 million. A family film with instant recognition, this success shows (perhaps surprisingly) that there’s still a lot of gas left in the Angry Birds engine, having already conquered the mobile gaming world and merchandising. The film will most assuredly drop from the top spot next weekend, so it should enjoying bragging rights while it can.
The other two new new releases for the weekend, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising and The Nice Guys, both severely underperformed, the former bringing in $21 million, while the latter could only muster up $11.6 million, even with outstanding reviews.
As for the rest of the top five, Captain America: Civil War dropped to second place with $32.5 million, while Disney’s The Jungle Book closed things out in fifth with $11.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Captain America: Civil War – $43 million
2) The Angry Birds Movie – $40 million
3) Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising – $38 million
4) The Nice Guys – $18.5 million
5) Disney’s The Jungle Book – $9 million
And here’s how the weekend is estimated to turn out:
1) The Angry Birds Movie – $39 million
2)Captain America: Civil War – $32.5 million
3) Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising – $21 million
4) The Nice Guys – $11.6 million
5) Disney’s The Jungle Book – $11.5 million
Next weekend sees the arrival of X-Men: Apocalypse, which should have no troubles making its presence felt. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!