It was a seriously lacklustre weekend at the box office, as none of the new releases managed to bring home any significant dollars. Here’s what went down:
As predicted, Will Smith and Margot Robie’s Focus managed to debut in the top spot this weekend, but it was with a fairly unimpressive number, grossing just $19 million. This is certainly not what Will is looking for; me thinks he best serves his audience in larger, tentpole style films such as Men In Black. Maybe he’s going to be rethinking returning to Independance Day as well. Unless Focus manages to find some unexpected legs, this one should come and go from theaters vert quickly.
As for the rest of the top five, Kingsman: The Secret Service was in second place with $11.7 million, dropping less than 35% from last week. The film is well on its way past the $100 million, an excellent showing for a somewhat under the radar film. In third place was The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water with $11.2 million. Fifty Shades Of Grey fell to fourth place with $10.9 million, while The Lazarus Effect had a middling debut, closing out the top five with just $10.6 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Focus – $25 million
2) Fifty Shades Of Grey – $12 million
3) Kingsman: The Secret Service – $11.5 million
4) The Lazarus Effect – $9.5 million
5) The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water – $9 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Focus – $19 million
2) Kingsman: The Secret Service – $11.7 million
3) The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water – $11.2 million
4) Fifty Shades Of Grey – $10.9 million
5) The Lazarus Effect – $10.6 million
Next weekend sees the release of Chappie and The Second Best Grand Budapest Hotel. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.