An interesting weekend at the box office, as there was a bit of a tight race for the top spot. Here’s what went down.
After duking it on Friday night, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes managed to hold off The Purge: Anarchy from the number one spot, bringing in a very strong $34.5 million to bring it’s total to $139 million. Meanwhile, The Purge: Anarchy’s debut at number two with $28.9, less than the original’s debut total but a decent enough number for a film with a $9 million budget. It likely won’t have real legs, but at this point it really doesn’t need them.
As for the rest of the top five, Planes: Fire and Rescue opened in third with $18.6 million, not a good number at all, but still better than Sex Tape, which hit fourth place with just $16.1. Transformers; Age of Extinction closed things out in fifth with $9.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – $34 million
2) The Purge: Anarchy – $30 million
3) Planes: Fire and Rescue – $28 million
4) Sex Tape – $27 million
5) Transfomers: Age of Extinction – $8 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – $34.5 million
2) The Purge: Anarchy – $28.9 million
3) Planes: Fire and Rescue – $18.6 million
4) Sex Tape – $16.1 million
5) Transfomers: Age of Extinction – $9.5 million
Next weekend sees the release of Hercules, staring The Rock. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.