An intelligent blockbuster? That’s what we got with Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, an audiences responded with an excellent debut weekend. Here’w what went down.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes debut with an exceptional $73 million, good enough for first place and a substantial increase over Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ $54 million opening back in 2011. This is a franchise that is both entertaining and intelligent, and this summer is showing movies with those traits have been few and far between.
Speaking of which, Transformers: Age of Extinction was in second place with $16.5 million. Tammy was in third with $12.9 million, 22 Jump Street hit fourth with $6.7 million, while How To Train Your Dragon 2 closed things out in fifth with $5.8 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – $75 million
2) Transformers: Age of Extinction – $20 million
3) Tammy – $10 million
4) 22 Jump Street – $7 million
5) How To Train Your Dragon 2 – $6.5 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – $73 million
2) Transformers: Age of Extinction – $16.5 million
3) Tammy – $12.9 million
4) 22 Jump Street – $6.7 million
5) How To Train Your Dragon 2 – $5.8 million
Next weekend sees the release of Planes: Fire and Rescue, The Purge: Anarchy and Sex Tape. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.