It was an incredibly closer weekend at the box office, as the two big hits of the holiday season did battle for the top spot. Here’s what went down:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug managed to hit number one at the box office for a third weekend in a row, bringing in $29.8 million, raising its total to $190 million. While it will likely still not reach the domestic heights of the first film, The Hobbit clearly has an audience that is enamoured with its world.
Find out how the rest of the weekend turned out after the jump!
Right behind Bilbo Baggins in second place is Frozen, which grossed $28.8 million, bringing its total to a fantastic $248 million. With one more holiday weekend to go, the film will get even closer to $300 million.
As for the rest of the top five, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues was in third with $20 million. American Hustle grabbed fourth place with $19.5 million, while The Wolf Of Wall Street closed things out in fifth place with $18.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Frozen – $29 million
2) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – $27.5 million
3) The Wolf Of Wall Street – $22 million
4) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty – $19 million
5) Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues – $18 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug – $29.8 million
2) Frozen – $28.8 million
3) Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues – $20 million
4) American Hustle – $19.5 million
5) The Wolf Of Wall Street – $18.5 million
Next weekend sees the release of the Paranormal Activity spin-off, The Marked Ones. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.