It wasn’t much of a battle this weekend, as the obvious pick for number one that box office managed to score with its core audience. Here’s what went down:
One Direction: This Is Us, directed by documentarian Morgan Spurlick, hit the top spot this past weekend, scoring $16.9 million over the three day weekend. Mind you, it may lose out on the top spot when the four-day tallies come in, considering it came in slightly under projections. So enjoy it while you can, boys.
As for the rest of the top five, Lee Daniels’ The Butler was in second place with $14.8 million. We’re The Millers brought in $12.7 million for third place, while Planes nabbed $7.7 for fourth. In fifth place was new release Instructions Not Included with $7.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) One Direction: This Is Us – $20 million
2) Lee Daniels’ The Butler – $13 million
3) We’re The Millers – $12.5 million
4) The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones – $11 million
5) Planes – $9 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) One Direction: This Is Us – $16.9 million
2) Lee Daniels’ The Butler – $14.8 million
3) We’re The Millers – $12.7 million
4) Planes – $7.7 million
5) Instructions Not Included – $7.5 million
Next week sees the release of Riddick with Vin Diesel. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions.