It was another lacklustre weekend at the box office, with no new release managing to take the top spot. Colour me surprised! Here’s what went down.
We’re The Millers also continued to perform well, bringing in $13 million as the film inches closer to the $100 million mark.
Debuting in third place with an anemic $9.3 million was the Mortal Instruments: City of Bone. I’m hugely surprised this popular series couldn’t bring in a larger crowd, though being released during the dog days of summer likely didn’t help its chances. This one will likely find its audience on DVD and VOD.
The World’s End debut in fifth with a disappointing $8.9 million, about $3 million more than Hot Fuzz. The film has already made back its $20 million budget thanks to its worldwide gross, but this is still a letdown. Planes closed things out in fifth place with $8.5 million.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones – $20 million
2) Lee Daniels’ The Butler – $19.5 million
3) We’re The Millers – $13.5 million
4) The World’s End – $10 million
5) Planes – $8 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Lee Daniels’ The Butler– $17 million
2) We’re The Millers – $13 million
3) The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones – $9.3 million
4) The World’s End – $8.9 million
5) Planes – $8.5 million
Next weekend sees the release of Getaway and a One Direction film. Be sure to check back on Friday to see our predictions!