This weekend, call me the Four Million Dollar Man. Why? Because that’s how much my predictions were off by for virtually every film in this weekend’s box office top five. Here’s how the weekend turned out:
Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol took firs spot as predicted, bringing in a stellar $31 million, $4 million more than I predicted. The film had made nearly #134 million domestic, and could just squeak up the $200 million when its run is all said and done.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was once again second, bringing in $22 million, once again $4 million more than I predicted. The film has grossed $132 million which, while not a bad showing at all, is still far off from the $200 + the original made back in 2009.
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked grossed a solid $18 million to nail down the third spot this weekend, one spot higher and $4 million more than I had predicted. Steven Spielberg’s War Horse rocked into the top five with 16.9 million to land at number four, one spot higher and nearly $4 million more than predicted, while The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo rounded things off at number five with $16.3 million, one million less than I thought it would.
So, to recap, here were our predictions:
1) Mission:Impossible – Ghost Protocol – $27 million
2) Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows – $18 million
3) The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – $15 million
4) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked – $14 million
5) War Horse – $13.5 million
And here’s how the weekend turned out:
1) Mission:Impossible – Ghost Protocol – $31 million
2) Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows – $22 million
3) Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked– $18 million
4) War Horse– $16.9 million
5) The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – $16 million
Next weekend sees the release of horror flick The Devil Inside. Find out where we think it will land on Friday!