Some Marvel movie news today. First off, Mickey Rourke and Scarlett Johansson have both been confirmed for Iron Man 2. ScoJo will play Natasha Romanov, aka Black Widow, while Rourke will portray Whiplash, a Russian supervillain whose character will also include traits from The Crimson Dynamo.
Looking towards the future, we’re going to have to wait a little longer for some superheroes to hit the big screen. Today Marvel Studios announced it was pushing back the release of two of its most anticipated films:
– Thor, to be directed by Kenneth Branagh, is moved from July 16th, 2010 to June 17th, 2011.
– The Avengers, expected to feature Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and others, is moved from July 15th, 2011 to May 4th, 2012.
I think these are smart moves by Marvel Studios. Better to get things right than to rush things and have then all wrong.
As it stands, Marvel Characters will make it to the big screen in the following fashion:
– Iron Man 2, April 30th, 2010
– Spider-Man 4, May 6th, 2011
– The First Avenger: Captain America, July 22nd, 2011 (pushed back from May 6th, 2011)
– Thor, June 17th, 2011
– The Avengers, May 4th, 2012